It has become customary in some quarters for the first Friday 13th of the year to be “BSE day”- Blame Someone Else day! And it's an excuse to blame others for everything that goes wrong (internet/ web based card companies have latched onto it and you can send suitably negative downloadable greetings to people!)
But… The Blaming and Complaining virus is our worst pandemic! It’s our real millennium bug. It destroys us, it destroys our friendships, it destroys our relationships, it destroys our careers and it destroys our businesses.
So rather than seeking to blame and complain; it’s time to TPR.
Take Personal Responsibility
All successful people begin by taking one fundamental step. That step is to realise and to believe that they are responsible for their own success. Whether that’s business success, showbiz success, sporting success, personal success. They all know that in the end it’s down to them: “If it’s to be, it’s up to me!” They Take Personal Responsibility.
So, instead of making Friday 13th May BSE day (blame someone else), make it TPR day… and discover the difference.
Rather than assuming that we'll get bad luck on Friday 13th, and that everything is someone else's fault, it's a day for thinking highly positively about how much personal control and responsibility we have over our own lives, our own successes, and that we can make our own luck!
So, here are 13 tips to help you TPR (and you can use these tips any day)
1. Choose your Attitude
• No more blaming and complaining. Don’t blame the traffic, government, weather, anyone or any external factor for the way you feel. Always remember you are free to choose your attitude.
• Go Happy Go Lucky. Phil calls this the ‘Napoleon Factor’ as Napoleon when choosing his senior Generals always asked “Is he lucky” – the French being “Est-il hereux?” literally, is he happy! Great attitudes create luck!
• The power of a pause. Cut up in traffic? Pause before you react. Overlooked at the checkout? Pause before you react. Turn knee-jerk reaCtion into Creation of response (“response-ability”), simply by the way you C it.
2. Know your Purpose
Have goals, and if you haven’t already, write them today. If you have them already, read them, refresh them in your mind. Live on PURPOSE today.
3. Your Foreground is more important than your Background.
Let go of the past, in order to move forward into a bright future. Stop looking back, and face the fullness of life ahead of you. The past is simply a set of lessons for you to equip you to embrace now and the future. Let go of any grudges that you are still holding onto, big or small.
4. Make your Changes
Take action when you can, and know when you can’t. If something is bugging you, work out what you can take action on, and do that. Forget the stuff you can’t influence. Mirror Signal Manoeuvre. Look in the mirror, what do you see? What does that signal? What Manoeuvre are you going to make? If you are unhappy about something in your life, make a change. Don’t bleat about it. Do it. Make a change today.
Be enthusiastic and Energetic.
• Act it: Even if you don’t feel enthusiastic or excited about your day ahead, act as if you are! Pump up your energy levels and you might just become it. Instead of “must lose weight” replace with “I am gaining more energy!”
• Say it: Change your greeting: when asked “how are you?” most people say “Fine”, “alright” or “not bad” which is a bit limp. Change to “Great, thanks; and you?” and mean it… and watch the difference.
• Be it: SMILE. Go on.
6. Clear the Clutter
Create a Clutter-free environment. Have a clear out to clear your mind, and your FOCUS. In order to attract your new life, clear out your past… and literally clear out the clutter.
7. Take Control with an Action Plan
Create an Action Plan today. Not a “to do list”, but an action plan based on your priorities and goals. Focus on achieving 3 action goals today.
8. Use visualisACTION
Create mental images of positive outcomes for every situation. Imagine the positive meeting, in advance, and you’ll have a positive meeting. Imagine hitting a deadline way before the deadline, and you will. Imagine the perfect parking space and you’ll increase the chances of getting it. Learn to have faith in yourself, and in your luck.
9. Write a personal Thank You letter today
…to someone who deserves your thanks. And write out 7 reasons for you to be thankful today… yes, you. Thankful.
10. Recognise Opportunities and take them.
There are no coincidences in life, just opportunities. And you need to be ready for them. Look for the signposts that present themselves to you. They are opportunities. Learn to trust your intuition … when you have clear goals, your gut-feeling can signal ways forward that you would otherwise miss. Have courage to take these opportunities.
11. Do something good today, just for fun
• for you. Or share with a good friend. Self-care and efficacy can brighten up any day! Everyone deserves to feel special.
• for someone else. However great or small, do something kind for someone else, and tell no one of it. Don’t seek praise or recognition. Just do it, and enjoy being kind.
12. Write a journal
YOU are responsible for your life story. Write down at least one “highlight” at the end of each day… start TODAY.
13. Be a good luck expector
Expect to be lucky… Keep telling yourself how lucky yuou are. And believe it. Decide that on this Friday 13th May 2011, YOU are going to have an amazing day of good luck, fortune and connections! If you adopt this mindset you can be sure there will be a superb opportunity presented for you to take. Make a long stop diary date to adopt the same on Friday 13th January 2012.
Have a Great Day!